- 8 Cups of Mixed Onions
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1-2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Sherry
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Loaf Fresh French Bread
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Shredded Gruyere Cheese
Mix the following into a slow cooker crock pot and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Onions, Butter, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, and Minced Garlic.
Add the following and cook for an additional 6 hours on low.
- Beef & Chicken Broth, Sherry, Apple Cider Vinegar, Fish Sauce, Thyme, and Bay Leaf.
While you can use just about anything you like, I'm strongly recommending to make your own toasted bread pieces for this recipe.
- Thinly slice and cut a few pieces of fresh French Bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Generously brush olive oil onto each piece of bread.
- Cover each piece with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan Cheese.
- Set your oven to broil and place the bread in the oven for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Once your bread and cheese begins getting to a nice light brown, flip the bread and toast the underneath for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Break the toasted bread apart and prepare to assemble your French Onion Soup!
With your soup and bread pieces ready you can finally begin assembling the soup!
- On medium low heat, warm a few servings of onion soup on the stove top.
- Turn your oven on to broil.
- Once warm, spoon your desired amount of soup into an oven safe bowl or ramekin.
- Place a few pieces of toasted French Bread onto the soup and cover with a generous amount of Gruyere with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- Put the French Onion Soup into your oven to broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has reached its golden brown perfection.
- Once out of the oven, garnish with a light dash of freshly chopped chives and serve right away.